Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Five beauty tips for putting your best foot forward while traveling this summer



mimi santa cruz

Yes! there is a big, big difference in the way we pack for vacation compared to a quick business trip. I am no exception. I spend a great deal of time mapping each day of impending vacations as I want to be prepared for each and every possible occasion or activity that may come along (with the right outfit and shoes of course...). So as you can imagine I do show up at the airport with a lot of luggage for vacation. When I am on a quick business trip, well it is a different story.


With the hassle that is to go through airport baggage claims these days --  I just can't do it. As a result, when traveling for short period of times I keep strictly to the two carry-on bags rule that the airlines have for us all. Yes, ladies I know the math: it is one purse plus one carry-on that can fit wheels first in the overhead bin. And as we are heading into summer, there are additional challenges, as I was reminded on a recent 72 hours trip into melt-you brain kind of tropical weather.

Coral Gables Golf

So, here are my Five Golden Rules for keeping it together on the road:

Rule Number 1:

Select wrinkle free or almost wrinkle free clothes that you can rotate in and out for a day to night looks. The last thing you want to deal with on the road is ironing, not to mention the quality of the irons you find in hotels ... I prefer silk, cotton based blends, and linen because they mold on you as you wear them and look natural even after a 5 hours flight or on a sticky humid summer Miami-like day....      

OOTD
travel ready outfits
OOTD night

Rule Number 2:

Stay hydrated both inside and out, literally. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to drink plenty of water while traveling. Trust me, I know how easy it is to forget and ditch the water bottle and over indulge in coffee and ahhh! those cute mixed drinks topped with the paper umbrellas. Apart from all the health implications, dehydration is your skin's worst enemy. I always keep a face mister (a travel size under 3oz.) and a bottle of water with me at all time and use both generously when traveling. 

tropical plants
Plants need it why shouldn't you?

Rule Number 3:

Have the right makeup with you at all times. In Los Angeles we are blessed with great weather year-around so it is easy to underestimate the importance of proper makeup on hot and humid, really really humid days. On my recent trip in such adverse conditions I put to the test a brand I was asked to review -- MAKE, a New York City company that specializes in paraben-free products and donates  10% of sales to the We See Beauty Foundation which supports women-led and worker-owned cooperative businesses across the Americas. How cool is that!

MAKE SOHO Retail

But back to makeup and beauty tricks.... I do not use foundation and boy! was I glad about that in Miami. I have a very fair and translucid skin so all foundation look cakey and mask-like on me. After years of searching and trying I finally gave up and so I start with a quality hydrating and contouring day cream instead of foundation. If you are using foundation, however, on a hot and humid day -- resist the temptation: do not power but bloat perspiration for a more natural and matte look that is appropriate for the surroundings.

fashionlook4u close up

I tried two products from MAKE -- their Taffy lipstick

Silk Cream Lipstick


and the Alabaster eyeshadow

Glitter Eyeshadow
Alabaster Eyeshadow



silk cream eyeshadow and lipstick


The Taffy has a deep purple-reddish overtone and contains antioxidant vitamins, rosehip, soybean and safflower oils. I do not like glossy lipstick so I was pleasantly surprised how lasting and effective it stayed during the day. My daughter tried it also and the color was different on her, much more purply. So, if you want to get as close to the color of the product as it appears in the shell you can try to apply powder foundation on your lips before application.

Taffy Lipstick application

I really liked the Alabaster eyeshadow, it has warm off-white hue with slightly peachy tint that would look very natural and flattering with simple make up.

Matte Finish Eyeshadow



All and all MAKE did quite impressively so it is worth trying. I am keeping the Alabaster eyeshadow in my clear travel-ready bag (that TSA insists on) with all the other 3oz or less life-savers for the road. If you want to try any of their product you can get 20% Off discount -- Discount Code: MAKEYOURSELF.

Rule Number Four

You must have a tube of sun screen in your travel pouch. Summer is the time we head off to tropical and sunny locations and odds are you are not quite accustomed to that kind of sun. Even on a cloudy breezy days you would burn to a crisp. Finding a good sunscreen is a challenge. These days I opt for Alba Botanical's Very Emollient Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30. As with other mineral sunscreen, application is a challenge but it is effective and it contains no parabens, phthalates, or synthetic fragrances. 
Alba Botanica Very Emollient, Fragrance Free Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30, 4 Ounce




Alba Botanical Sunscreen

Rule Number Five


Do yourself a favor and do stop by your nail salon for pedicure before all your trips. You see, on the road we want to be comfortable (whatever that means to you i.e. I live in heals so flip flops are not in my arsenal) and 9 out of 10 times that would translate in your opting for some open toe shoes ... Don't spoil a perfect outing because you are self conscious about your 'this little piggy' ... you get my drift.

rule number five



Well, happy travels Girls --

XOXO,
Mimi

powered by Brandbacker



3 comments:

  1. This is awesome tutorial with nice products. Regards, Ocudance and Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, I greatly appreciate it. Love, mimi

      Delete
  2. Cool post, with nice insights

    ReplyDelete